Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Nothing is more dangerous than an idea Danger




Dangerous ideas most happened in the department of health, when I talk about dangerous ideas in healthcare, I am not talking about tinkering with funding models or introducing a new performance indicator. A dangerous idea is one that turns status quo thinking on its head. Consider, for example, a gear-shift in cultural norms such that the privacy of health records is irrelevant to the vast majority of citizens; or that the political inevitability of mass immigration (say, quintupling the annual number of immigrants) eliminates the human resource challenge in healthcare and solves the spiraling costs of caregiver burden in this country. (For the record, I disagree with the first dangerous idea; I believe in the second).
This is not to say imaginative ideas don't exist in healthcare; rather, it is to say I am concerned that they do not cycle their way up to executive team


No comments:

Post a Comment